Saints John & Paul School, Ashtabula
Wednesday, 28 March 2012 18:39

Most Reverend George V. Murry, S.J., Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Youngstown, and the Board of Directors of Saints John & Paul School, announced today the launch of the “Proud Legacy – Future Promise – Campaign for Saints John & Paul.”

The Campaign will position Saints John & Paul School to continue the tradition and legacy of academic excellence within a strong faith community. In order to insure that this legacy continues in the 21st century Saints John & Paul will embark on a campaign to raise 3 million dollars.

The first gift of the campaign has been the donation of Saybrook School and land on Depot Road by friends of the school. Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, Saints John & Paul will move its PreK-12 operation to this new site.

Herschmann Architects has been engaged to oversee the transformation of the school to meet the needs of the school community. The property will allow for future expansion and accommodate the entire school’s operations to be on one campus.

Bishop Murry recently issued a pastoral letter, “Catholic Schools: An Investment in the Future of Our Youth.” In the letter Bishop Murry indicates that “the greatest risk with regard to our schools is to take no risk at all – in other words to remain the same and hope for the best.” (The Pastoral Letter may be found on the diocesan website, www.doy.org.)

In 1953, under the leadership of Father Joseph Feicht and Sister Visitation, HM, and with the support of the Sisters of the Humility of Mary, lay teachers, parishioners and the community, Saint John High School was born. The addition of a Catholic High School in Ashtabula County was the ideal complement to the Catholic elementary schools that had served the area since the late 1800’s. From the very beginning, Catholic schools in Ashtabula provided an education that not only touched the hearts of students but also prepared them to be leaders in the business and professional worlds, the community and beyond.  

The location and financial benefits of this move are matched with strong academic and educational advantages for Saints John & Paul students. New curriculum developments, expanded opportunities in various course disciplines, and building enhancements will provide for the added values that are hallmarks of a Saints John & Paul education. One example of this is that for the past five years every graduate of Saints John & Paul has been accepted at the college of their choice and received scholarship offers and financial aid well above the local and national averages.

In the past 24 months the stabilization of enrollment, the implementation of the President/Principal model of administration, the new governance structures and increased support for the school from alumni have positioned the school to embark on this type of campaign. After studying current facilities, options for other locations, cost factors, and the availability of the school on Depot Road, the School’s Board of Directors has embarked on the Campaign.

Currently Saints John & Paul owns the building at 541 West 34th Street and rents the buildings on Columbus Avenue from Our Lady of Peace Parish. The School and the Parish respectively will be studying options for the current buildings.

For further information please contact Dr. Nicholas Wolsonovich, Superintendent of Catholic Schools, at 330-744-8451 or Sr. Maureen Burke, SND, President Saints John & Paul School, at 440-997-5531.