Our Lady of Lourdes

200 E Main St
East PalestineOH  44413 
Phone: 330.426.9346
Fax: 330.426.9846
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Rev. Christopher Cicero, Pastor
Mass Times:

Sunday, 8:30 am
Weekdays, Wed. & Thurs. 8:30 am
Adoration Wednesdays: 9-10:00 am
Reconcilliation: 9:30 am - Last Sunday 

Brief History:

Our Lady of Lourdes Parish had its beginning just prior to 1872. It was formed as a mission of St. Rose Parish, Cannelton, Penna. People walked five miles to St. Rose to attend Holy Mass offered by Father Bingham on Sundays and Holy Days. From 1872 to 1880, Father Eli Washington John Lindesmith, Pastor of Salem and Leetonia, Cleveland Dioces, visited the Mission at East Palestine once a week to offer Mass in private homes.

Msgr. Clement Treiber formed the first Parish of 25 families in East Palestine. Later, St. Mary's Church was built at the corner of West Clark and North Walnut. The basic structure of the church was built by the people, each one giving of their talent and time. The first Mass was offered on January 20, 1881 by Msgr. Treiber. It was in a roughly finished state - a temporary alter, boards on nail kegs served as pews and heat came from a small stove. Rt. Rev. Richard Gilmore, Bishop of Cleveland dedicated the church on June 10, 1883.

Msgr. Treiber also purchased three acres of land two miles north of the old church in 1886 for St. Mary's Cemetery.

The present church, dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes, was built under the guidance of Msgr. Joseph M. Heid. The corner stone was set on October 22, 1939 and blessed by the Most Rev. James A McFadden. The First Mass was offered by Msgr. Heid on February 4, 1940.

View on Google Maps