Portage

Our Lady of Perpetual Help



342 S Chillicothe Rd
AuroraOH  44202 
Phone: 330.562.8519
Fax: 330.562.2529
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Rev. James Daprile, Pastor
Mass Times:

Saturday Vigil, 4:30 pm
Sunday, 10:00 am (July only)
Weekdays, Mon.-Fri. 9:00 am

Sacrament of Reconciliation, 1st Saurday only. 3:30 pm prompt

Parish Website

 
Brief History:

In early 1955, there was no Catholic church in Aurora, so of the twelve women from the newly organized Mission Group in Aurora, three of them, Helen Truce Baran, Mary Nelis, and Stella Shaw, went to see Monsignor Lavelle of St. Joseph’s Church in Mantua so that Mass could be offered in Aurora each Sunday. Monsignor Lavelle suggested they contact James Quinn, then owner of the Aurora Inn. He was contacted and arrangements were made so that Mass could be celebrated. A portable altar was set up and confessions were heard before Mass at the bar. A folding screen was set up and parishioners took turns going behind the bar to ask forgiveness of their sins. The mission church celebrated the first Mass at the Inn on March 13, 1955, and Masses continued until August 31, 1955.

In 1957, St. Rita's Church was purchased in Solon and moved to Aurora. It was dedicated August 31, 1958 by Bishop Emmet Walsh of Youngstown. In 1960, it officially became a parish and Fr. Homer Oliver was assigned as the first pastor.

The present church was completed in 1974 and the bell tower in 1982. In 1993, the parish center was built.

View on Google Maps
  
Back